Thursday, June 24, 2010

If God gave you only 5 minutes, what will you do??

This question was recently asked to me by my superior during my yearly appraisal process. Now, how weird a question can get?? Does this question make any sense at all..the valid or the appropriate question would have been "How much hike do you want?", but that only one can dream of.

But this was no dream...thousand images flashed in my head, of family, of friends, of loved ones, of achievements, of failures, of disappointments, of mistakes, of desires, of ecstasy, of distress and of thousand things that I would want to do before saying goodbye. I was confused, is this a real question? Or is there any hidden agenda…oh my god!! am I getting fired?

I cried "why me? Look at my ratings, 90+ every year, I am a performer, so why should I be laid off?" Having said that I realized, that was not the question and I made a fool of myself. My boss calmed me down and explained the idea behind this question; it was not to baffle me, rather asked for my own development and empowerment.
It was then that I collected my thoughts and set on another trail of thoughts. It made me reflect on my inner self, what i have done in my life, and what will be the most important thing in the world which i would want to do in my last 5 minutes of life.

After thinking a great deal, I said “Ofcourse, I would like to spend those precious few minutes with the closed ones but I will also look back and see whether I had given my best shots to everything. It doesn't matter whether i succeeded or failed, whether i won or lost, whether i overachieved or underachieved. The ultimate satisfaction that I gave my best in everything I ever did should be enough”.

This was the answer my boss was looking for and as soon as I said this I realized that it just don’t matter whether I achieve my KRAs and get 90+, the most important thing would be to challenge myself with something new over and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment